By Garrett Rose
Here are 5 facts that you should know about Boulder County AIDS Project’s (BCAP) newest HIV testing technology, Alere Determine™ HIV- 1 & HIV-2 Ag/Ab Combo.
1) Alere is 99.9% accurate in detecting HIV!
2) Alere’s ability to capture HIV-1 and HIV-2 helps fight HIV globally! HIV-1 accounts for about 95% of all HIV diagnoses worldwide, whereas HIV-2 is mostly found in Western African countries and accounts for less than 5% of diagnoses.
3) Alere is the 1st U.S. FDA approved rapid HIV test that detects antibodies for both HIV-1 and HIV-2, as well as the p24 antigen! The p24 antigen can be detected as soon as 17 days after a potential exposure to HIV.
4) Alere takes 20 minutes to process and only requires a simple finger prick.
5) The Alere test is FREE at BCAP.
Guidelines still recommend a 3 month window period from the time of a potential exposure for the most accurate HIV test result. It’s important to know that any positive, or “reactive”, HIV test result with this technology is considered preliminary and will still require a confirmatory HIV test before a diagnosis is given. However, the opportunity to catch the virus early is an exciting component of Alere, allowing someone living with HIV to be linked to medical care sooner.
To schedule an HIV testing appointment with a trained counselor at BCAP, go to atlas.bcap.org, where you can see available appointments and upcoming offsite dates. We ask that you plan for an hour to make sure we have time to provide the best testing experience possible. Schedule your test today and update your status because it’s better to know!